October 14, 2010

12 Years Ago.........


Twelve years ago today......My Dad passed away. He was an incredible man. He worked hard to provide for our family and always managed to make a way for all things to be possible for us. Little did we know when he died, how much he TRUELY sacrificed for us. My parents really didn't have much money at all as it turned out, as a matter of fact they were beyond poor. My dad always gave, gave, gave and we never knew, not even my mom how much he lost in return financially. But he was such a humble man no one, again not even my mom new it.
This year as most of you have read, I had the privilege of visiting my Dads family in Idaho. The spirit of the Lord was with us and also the spirit of my Dad with us was such an incredible feeling. My Dad had a lot of amazing qualities.
**I remember growing up as a kid and going fishing with him and my brothers out at Castaic lake. It was sooo fun. I never would put the bait on the hook, and even though my brothers would always tell me stop being such a chick and just do it, my Dad never minded hooking the line for me.
**I also remember going on many trips to Baseball games, and to Magic Mountain a lot as kids. You could say I was truly a Daddy's Girl.
**As I got older, I was blessed to be able to work with my Dad after high school. We use to commute together to Chatsworth almost everyday. That was a great time for us to be able to bond together. That was also when i learned how to drive a stick shift car. My Dad loved his Geo Metros..hahaha.
**Later I moved to Las Vegas on October 14,1996 and still kept in touch via phone with my Dad. He called me everyday at my job. Luckily I worked for La-Z-Boy Furniture at the time and being that it was a family owned company the managers were so great, and allowed me the time to talk to my Dad whenever he called.
Then on October 14, 1998 yep you are reading that correctly EXACTLY 2 years after moving to Las Vegas, I got the call from my sister at like 3:00 am that my Dad had passed away. Talk about SHOCK!!! I didn't know what to say or think, I was in utter denial. Luckily my brother Robert had been living in Las Vegas for a short time and I had to call him, and he came over right away.
Although 12 years has passed, sometimes it feels just like yesterday, other times its been a lifetime, I know that my Dad is resting peacefully and happily with our loving Heavenly Father, and feel a sense of joy knowing he has been reunited with his parents and other relatives that have passed before him. I hold dear all the memories we shared, and at times can clearly hear his voice if I just stop and think. There was not one day I can recall were my Dad did not tell me how much he loved me.He loved us very much, and absolutely adored his grandchildren. I feel blessed to know that he was able to cheer on his other two grandchildren Gavin and Sophie as they entered this world.
How lucky I feel to know that one day I will reunite with him again. That we were sealed as a family for time and all eternity.
So, I say to you today Dad, I will see you soon!!!! When my time calls. I love you!!!

2 comments:

  1. That was really sweet, Erika. Dad's are special.

    BTW- Geo Metros Rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a beautiful post Erika! I remember when you used to commute down to Chatsworth with your Dad. I bet he looks down on you everyday and is so proud of you! Isn't it amazing that we KNOW that you'll be with him again one day? I can't think of a better blessing than the knowledge of Heavenly Father's plan of happiness!

    ReplyDelete