January 11, 2009

Great money savings tips!!!

cash Pictures, Images and Photos

So, I was reading an online article and thought it had some great ideas to save money...so I thought I would share the article.

There's no such thing as a hot stock tip right now, but these small investments could add thousands to your bottom line.
Everybody wants a hot tip. At this time of year the media's filled with forecasts and recommendations. Hope springs eternal.

History says few people ever beat the market consistently. And even those who do don't beat the market by much.
So what's the best you can expect? Wall Street's best year, as measured by the Dow Jones Industrial Average, was 1915. The index rocketed 82%. The second best year was 1933. It jumped 66%.
Any tip that comes close to that would have to be remarkable. Here are seven that will do better. Yes, they will produce a greater return on investment than Wall Street's greatest boom year.


And, unlike your typical investment tip, these returns are pretty much guaranteed. What's more, you won't have to call your broker to make any of these moves:

Buy a bread maker. You can buy one for $55. If it saves you just $4 a week on store-bought bread, that's $208 a year. A 280% return.

Get a credit card with a great sign-up bonus. Like the AirTran Visa card. Cost: The $40 annual fee. After your first purchase you get enough reward miles for a free flight, saving maybe $250. Then cancel the card. Return: 525%.

Take out a local library card. Cost: Nothing. If it saves you $10 a month on books, that's $120 a year. Return: Infinite. Note: Some libraries now let you borrow electronic books over the Internet as well.

Replace your premium cable package with a Netflix subscription and a $100 set-top box. You can download movies and TV programs as well getting DVDs through the mail. Cost: $100 for the cheapest set-top box, plus $17 a month for a three-movie subscription. If it replaces a $50-a-month cable package, that's a 98% return on investment.
Order a packet of seeds and plant them in a window box or garden. Growing your own herbs, spices, and even vegetables – depending on the amount of space you have – is a great investment. If you spent just $10 on seeds and saved a mere $50 in the year, that's a 400% ROI.


Switch to a prepaid cellphone. Cost: $20 for the phone, and maybe $100 a year for minutes. Move the rest of your talk-time to free Internet calls, and stop hemorrhaging $60 a month on a cellular plan. ROI: 500%


Start making your own coffee to take to work each morning. Cost: $20 for a Thermos, $10 for a filter and papers, and $60 a year for ground coffee. Then skip the $4 a day drive-thru. If that saves you $1,000 a year, the return is more than 1,000
%.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog today. Here are a few ways I save money too.

    1. I take my lunch everyday I work, so does the hubby. I make the kids take 2 luches a week so this saves alot.
    2. Buy generic cereal. I have bought the plastic containers from Walmart and bought the big bags of generic ceral. I fill this weekly. Nobody can taste the difference.
    3. Plan your meals in advance. I make a list at the end of each week and buy food for the week for the meals. This makes it easy to know exactly what you are doing for that night dinner. And the whole family knows too. (if you are really good you could plan all your meals around what is on sale at the store but I am not there yet)Eat out only 1 night a week.
    4. Buy a cow. Just kidding. We drink so much milk. I supplement this by waiting for a gallon of milk to 1/2 empty, then I whip up powder milk with the other half of milk and stick it back in the fridge. No one knows the difference. (Don't tell Fran or the kids they dont know I do this)
    5. pay bill on line-you save on the stamps
    6. Make soups/chili and feeze some for a later date. (like lunches)
    7. Cut soda out. We just recently have done this and it has saved a ton of money.
    8. Cut down the home phone to bare minimum or cut it off totally. (we cut ours down to the bare minimum, no call waiting, no three way nothing but a ring because we have cell phones as a second line)
    9. Wash full loads of laundry and dishes, no half loads
    10. Change all lights to energy effecient, then try to turn off the lights when your not using them.
    Let me know what you do too.

    Love Mary (Sorry so long) I love to save a buck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions on ways to save money. I usually spend at least $150 a week on groceries for our family of 6. This last week, and this week, I stuck to a list and only spent $100. I am actually proud of myself that I only went to the store once each week because I planned ahead and went with a list.

    ReplyDelete